Tuesday, August 25, 2009

SUBMISSION?

One question leads to another. My post on discipline made me ponder on this word: submission.
What does it mean to you? Why do I hear me friends talk about submitting to God. Submitting to someones decision?

Mmm...First, I wana share my gut feeling. For me submission suggests a power struggle. I give in to you. But I do it by giving up what I want to do. That is submission.

So why do we talk about submission to God?

Because..when we believe, we follow. We are drawn. We have an unstoppable desire to do what God calls us to do.

So submission doesn't quite figure.....

So, let me think about this.

I wana say that Jesus , for me , did not submit.

He knew what he had to do for the Father, and for Salvation. He saw the contradictions in the practices and teachings of some of the leaders . And He said what he had to say. Come what may.

I remember that he drove traders out of the Temple grounds.

" My Father's House is a House of Prayer for all Nations...but you have made it into a den of thieves..."

How did Jesus know then about a world view that includes "all nations" ?

For me , this is the moment of timelessness. Of bordelessness.

So what do you think..?

3 comments:

  1. To me Jesus submits to what God the Father asks him to do.
    The critical hour before Jesus crucifixion, he cried out to God the Father saying:
    "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but your be done"

    To me this is his submission to God the father.

    In the same way we as Jesus follower, we have to submit to him as our mediator to God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the day Jesus was baptized, John tried to prevent Him, saying,
    "I need to be baptized by You, and are You coming to me?"
    But Jesus answered and said to him,
    "Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness."

    To me this is to show His submission towards righteousness.

    That is why until now christian people need to be baptized in water as a sign of submission to the example made by Jesus Himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I gather is that for you submission is follow...

    Abide by a way of living....

    Just that for me submission has negative connotations....

    Submission for me is a stronger person forcing a weaker person to do something he does not want to do. That is why I do not feel comforatbale with the world.

    Maybe it is a language problem. I guess this is what happens when we humans try to express divine love with human words...mmm...anyway do read my next post. I am real upset... just tell me what you think,,,

    ReplyDelete