Tuesday, August 18, 2009

DISCIPLINE?

Someone asked me to ask someone to read something about discipline.

I did not have my Bible with me right now so I am going to post my reflections on this issue of discipline.

Later I will read the Bible and see how on-track or off-track I am.

First of all....

I have painful memories about being disciplined.

My mum forced me to do one hundred sums one evening when I was in Year 1.

And I was looking at the sun going down and wanting to play with a girl in my garden.

When I had done all the sums , my mum gave me 100 more.

It was cruel.

I was powerless.

I never went out to play.

I still think about who she was... the friend I lost.

I guess that is discipline.

I became really good in getting number one in school.

But , you know what, I was not interested in making friends.

Even today people say I am unfriendly.

Sheesh.

That's the dark side of discipline.

Now that I am a teacher trainer I always ask my teacher trainees to consider the feelings of anyone they wish to discipline.

CONSIDER FEELINGS.

First thing, DISCIPLINE YOURSELF and listen to WHY the person behaves the way he does.

" Why are you doing this? I really wana understand...."

You know,.....when I actually can listen and when the person actually pours it out...I am often surprised....

Looks like I did some things or did not do some things and I need to look at MYSELF first.

DISCIPLINE.......

I have to discipline myself first .


But yes, I want Jesus, .. the Holy Spirit and Father.... oh Father...

to discipline me....

I am open...

I wana listen to you Lord.

6 comments:

  1. I used to be a student with discipline problem in secondary school even though I was a PREFECT. haha.

    However, I think discipline is very important because it will determined one's personality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons….No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.”
    (Hebrews 12:7-8,11)

    Like the story of the butterfly, if someone helps it break out of the cocoon, it will die. For it is in that struggle that it's wings get strengthened enough to fly.

    The mother eagle kicks the nest from under her eaglets. And the poor babies think they’re not ready to fly. But the urgency causes them to flap their wings. Should they fall right down, the mother swoops down and bears them up before they hit ground. Then she lets them go again. And eventually they fly.

    Ten years ago, the nest was kicked from under me. How unfair!!! I felt God and people had no right to do what was done to me. It took me three years to mentally uproot from the bitterness of being robbed of the comfort of that nest although it had long been kicked off. It took another 3-4 years before I allowed myself to trust again and to move forward. And it took altogether 8-10 years to come round to full forgiveness and restoration…even to pray for those I felt had terribly wronged me.

    I would never have had the strength I have today if I had not been kicked out of my comfort zone. Today, I recognize the divine foot that was at work; but at that time, it was people I blamed…angrily and loudly too! Ya, it was very painful.

    BUT WE NEED TO BE TRANSFORMED INTO BEING TRUE SONS. ONLY THE TRUE SONS CAN BE PEACEMAKERS.(Matthew 5:9)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm...I do think about true sons. I feel hurt when there are double standards in judging people.

    I am sensitive to this...

    Why la do we start to have conditional love without realizing it...

    It's tricky...

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry...no duality is meant here.

    Yeah, we don't achieve sonship by meeting standards.

    Rather, it is through dying to self. Through the cross we are transformed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The word discipline reminds me of a verse in the book of Proverbs 13:24 saying:
    "He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him."

    Romans 13:1-5 say (
    1)Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established.
    (2)Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.
    (3) For rulers hold no terror for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you.
    (4) For he is God's servent to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.
    (5) Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience.

    Discipline seems harsh but it trains us to be good citizen of earth and heaven.
    Doing evil is easy and enjoyable but it brings us to destruction both on and in heaven too.

    What do you say...

    ReplyDelete
  6. One day Jesus entered the temple area and began driving out those who were selling. He said:
    "It is written, my house will be a house of prayer, but you have made it a den of robbers"

    Wasn't it so cruel when Jesus chased away those selling in the temple area?
    Thinking about discipline, it is harsh and cruel
    Why do the authority punish those selling drugs such as heroine or morphine? Is it wrong to get money by selling those items?
    The two items are strongly against human rules and regulations. Those convicted will end their life in a gallop. It is not wrong for the authority to hang those convicted to death because they are God's agent to practice the rule.

    Temple is a place of prayer and worship the highest God of Heaven and earth. But why do the people turn it into a market place?
    It is wrong and against God's rules and regulations in the temple area.
    To discipline them, they have to be chased out of the temple area.

    So, discipline is like medicine, bitter to swallow but heal us from sickness.

    ReplyDelete